Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolutions... or not

My feelings regarding resolutions are rather split.  On the one hand, I don't find them very conducive to actual self-growth.  People spend January 1st in a hangover coma, then move into resolution overdrive mode for about four days.  But by the end of January at the latest, resolutions have inevitably evolved into sarcastic jokes.  "Oh hey, I see you have a soda can there.  I assume it's actually filled with water, because there is no way you would ever fail your resolution this early." Har har har.

Anyway, I have never been a huge supporter of New Year's resolutions for that reason.  They tend to run parallel to saying, "I'll start studying at 5," then glancing at the clock and realizing it is 5:02.  "Oh darn, I missed it.  I guess I'll just have to start at 5:30."  Resolutions are the melodramatic equivalent; in February, it ends up being, "Shit.  I guess I'll just have to lose five pounds next year," and then eating cupcakes for ten months straight... or, you know, maybe not.  

If you want to actually improve something about yourself, set realistic goals and work on it, no matter the time of year.  Waiting until New Years rolls around is just a festive form of procrastination. 

That said, today I have spent a good half hour watching YouTube videos in which people determine whether or not they actually accomplished their resolutions for 2011.  I ended up reconsidering my entire perspective on resolutions, because I found that I really like the concept of being able to measure goal accomplishments within a certain time period.  It's just that resolutions are pointless without legitimate dedication, and they can't be too vague. 

With that in mind, in 2012 I want to:

  • stop biting my nails. 
  • have at least $10,000 in my savings account. 
  • stop being such a pussy about talking to my dad/ have a year of independence. 
  • exercise for at least an hour every day. 
  • complete the 50 book challenge again.
  • win NaNoWriMo again.
  • keep up with my archive journals. 
  • make at least one video a month (ideally more).  
  • make more friends hooray (I don't know how to make that less vague).
  • milk a cow. 
  • see at least one of my friends from Dominica in person. 


1 comment:

  1. WOOOOW, these are intense goals!!!! I must say, great choices!!!

    love K

    ReplyDelete